Well, here I am. In office on another monday – its evening now and I’ll be wrapping up my day shortly and its about all I can do not to dash out the door now, the consequences be damned!
But this past week and a half has been pretty damn intense if I do say so myself.
For those in the know, we brought in India’s first ever Comic Convention on the 19th and 20th of Feb, and articles and blogs about the event from folks in the know here have been having a field day with it all. Hell there was even mention and photo’s from the event posted at BleedingCool.com, which may not mean much to many folk but to comic geeks/nerds/fans it carries some weight and pride at having a part played in it all.
Honestly I can understand it. It was a total mind-bomb for I think everyone there – from writers/artists like myself to the fans, the organisers and the booth-renters. No one expected the sheer volume of crowd that finally did make its way to this simple little two day event.
A lot of people asked me recently why I hadnt written anything about the event and at first my reaction was simply that there has already been so much chatter about it all with dozens and dozens of pictures posted all over the place from blogs to facebook to flickr and other such sites. With that in mind, Im afraid I wont be posting too many pictures from the convention (though I want to), just the handful posted below to give you a feel, for more I would say go check out the other comic blogs:
|Some random cosplay|
|More random cosplay|
|The men in charge (scary isnt it..)|
|Arguably the fan fav costume!|
|The best villain at the show!|
|…sure why not…|
|Last bit o` random cosplay|
So that was the event in a nutshell! Crazy fans, crazy crowd, lots of folks to meet on both sides of the printing presses – oh and the closing day ended with solid powerful thunder and lightning and rain cleansing the city streets.
Some took it as an annoyance, some as a good omen. Personally it was rain and I love a good rainstorm! Always feels like its cleansing the world around me.. But the bottom line is this: at the end of it all we all loved and laughed and had a grand ol’ time and now can eagerly look forward to next years installment of the same. To rip off a legend, EXCELSIOR!!
… no doesn’t have the same ring when I say it, never mind, note to self: get new catchphrase..
Meanwhile: In other news!
Not really, there is no significant “other news” I just wanted to segue from the Comic Con.
Since that weekend more has transpired too – with the very talented Vivek Goel I have been tinkering with several possible projects, one of which will actually see light of day soon – a collection of horror one-shots with an unconventional Therianthropic theme. Thats all I can say for now Im afraid, on pain of gruesome death!
Together we’ve been tossing several others into the mix too over the last couple of months, though gingerly and infrequently as time is tight between his upcoming Ravanayan project and my own various rat-race responsibilities. But with any luck in the coming year we will finally be able to put my pen and his pencils to work, and maybe.. juuuuuust maybe there will be some pretty intruiging new books out to read in the Indian scene! For this last bit I think I can thank the convention again as it gave him a reason to fly down to my city and say what you will about the new age, I still find a good old face-to-face all-night brain storming (or as his friend sitting with us dubbed it – brain typhoon!) session for getting the creative process kicking into high gear.
Now, back to the subject of mondays before signing off. One of the funnier points of my monday so far (and there are not many) was this page I came across while looking for just a simple line of dialogue from the Star Wars movies in answer to something a friend asked me in an email (ADVANCE WARNING – if you have any lack of humorous senses, refrain from reading further and wtf are you doing here anyway?):
TOP 10 LINES FROM STAR WARS
10) “Get in there you big furry oaf, I don’t care what you smell!”
9) “Luke, at that speed do you think you’ll be able to pull out in time?”
8) “Put that thing away before you get us all killed.”
7) “You’ve got something jammed in here real good.”
6) “Aren’t you a little short for a stormtrooper?”
5) “You came in that thing? You’re braver than I thought.”
4) “Sorry about the mess…”
3) “Look at the size of that thing!”
2) “Curse my metal body, I wasn’t fast enough!”
1) “She may not look like much, but she’s got it where it counts, kid.”
TOP 10 LINES FROM THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
10) “I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me.”
9) “Size matters not. Judge me by my size, do you?”
8) “There’s an awful lot of moisture in here.”
7) “But now we must eat. Come, good food, come…”
6) “That’s okay, I’d like to keep it on manual control for a while.”
5) Hurry up, golden-rod…”
4) “I must’ve hit it pretty close to the mark to get her all riled up like that, huh kid?”
3) “Possible he came in through the south entrance.”
2) “And I thought they smelled bad on the outside!”
1) “Control, control! You must learn control!”
TOP 10 LINES FROM RETURN OF THE JEDI
10) “Hey, point that thing someplace else.”
9) “I look forward to completing your training. In time you will call me master.”
8) “You’re a jittery little thing, aren’t you?”
7) “I never knew I had it in me.”
6) “Someone must’ve told them about my little maneuver at the battle of Taanab.”
5) “There is good in him, I’ve felt it.”
4) “I assure you, Lord Vader, my men are working as fast as they can.” “Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate them.”
3) “Grab me, Chewie. I’m slipping – hold on. Grab it, almost…you almost got it. Gently now, all right, easy, easy, hold me, Chewie. Chewie!”
2) “Hey, Luke, thanks for coming after me – now I owe you one.”
1) “Back door, huh? Good idea!”
So Im going to sign off once again now folks, hopefully I’ll have something more substantive next post, maybe some samplings of some of my stories – since I cant figure out what to do with my shorts might as well get some feedback on my style eh?
Oh!!! How could I forget! I almost signed off without posting a new beauty (hey, what can I say, Im a sucker for a beautiful woman..) – so in the spirit of the renewed blog with its new name and new link and yadda, yadda, yadda.. I happily bring to you the woman who is today admittedly my biggest crush, a prime example of sheer womanhood. Hot as all holy hell, smart, talented and unlike the trend in the world at large – she has a figure to truly die for and is proud of it. Plus the fact that she has that gorgeous shade to her locks of course just kills me.. but what a way to go it would be..
sigh… Cheers all..